Tuesday 23 October 2012

Australia has thousands of species of flies

I got a sample of printing products the other day and contained in this sample was a small desk calendar which each month has a new fact. This month what I have learnt is that in Australia there are over 6000 different species of flies. This count includes blow flies, fruit flies, house flies and mosquitoes (which are apparently considered a form of fly). My first thought was, wow, how can there be so many different species of the one insect. My second thought was, why would somebody want to catalogue these different types of flies? It was this second thought that drove me to do a little more research on the subject, via Google, and discovered an animal health website which had detailed information on different species of flies (not all 6000, just some of the more common species). 

Aside from the information on some of the more common species of flies, the website informs that there are more effective methods for exterminating each species, depending on their habits and which sites they choose to breed. I guess since we are always looking for more effective ways to kill these pests, that would explain why so much research has been performed and why someone has catalogued that there are 6000 species of flies. I guess my only real concern now, is that since there are so many different species of flies, and we are always on the lookout for was to better exterminate them, that perhaps this might be seen as insect cruelty, and people might create Fly Rights activist groups. The next step is that these groups might lobby the government, first to create an endangered species list of insects, and then try and get different species of flies added to the list. Then it is just small step until I am being arrested in my own home for swatting a fly! Okay, maybe this scenario is a long shot, but if the day comes when you get arrested for swatting a fly, don't tell me I didn't warn you!

If you want to learn more about the different fly species, check out the Bayer Animal Health website.

No comments:

Post a Comment