Friday 10 February 2012

9 Feb 2012 - Chipping your arm to unlock you house

Tonight I was having an after work drink with a friend of mine and she joked about how she would love to have a chip in her arm for touch and go payments, she could simply swipe her arm against the sensor, rather than having to swipe the card and enter a pin. After voicing this, the waitress replied, "oh you mean like that guy who got a chip put in his arm to open his car and house." I had never heard of this guy, so when I got home I Googled him. I eventually found an article on the Age website about him. It turns out he is a Melbourne man and back in 2008, he modified his house and had a chip inserted into his arm so that he could unlock his house by scanning his arm on the sensor at the door. This way he didn't have to worry about forgetting his keys anymore.

I admit, I have forgotten my keys from time to time, it is annoying, but I don't think it is annoying enough to go to the extent of chipping myself, and upgrading my security at home to allow the chip to work in my locks. That must be incredibly expensive to organise. He says that he modified most of the off the shelf equipment himself, so it only cost a few thousand dollars to implant his arm and modify his house, but I don't have that kind of expertise, so it would cost me a mint I am sure. Not to mention the fact that after I spend all this money, I open myself to burglars being forced to cut off my arm in order to  rob my house. I really don't need that added stress in my life! I'd rather just throw them my keys and let them do their worst. It is much better than having to race to emergency so they can treat your removed limb, all the while knowing that you will be coming home to a burgled house!

The original article was in The Age.

No comments:

Post a Comment