Wednesday 30 May 2012

Blindfolded people can't walk in a straight line

I was watching QI the other night and I discovered that nobody knows why blindfolded or blind people are unable to walk in a straight line. Now I never actually knew that when you were blindfolded that it is impossible to walk in a straight line, as the only times that I have tried was to hit a pinata, play pin the tail on the donkey, or  play other games indoors where there are things to walk into, so it is impossible to walk in a straight line anyway. So when I heard that it was impossible, I was intrigued. Apparently it has been tested that if somebody is blindfolded, told to walk in a straight line and set loose in an open space, they always walk with a curve to one side, even though they are convinced that they are walking in a straight line.

QI informs me, as well as a brief Google search, that science is unable to solve this mystery. Now I am not concerned that this puzzle is not solved by science because, if you have been reading my blog previously you might already know, I think spending science dollars to research inconsequetial facts such as this, is a waste money. Especially when you consider that there are cures still to be found to many fatal diseases and much poverty in the world. However that fact that people are unable to walk in a straight line whilst blindfolded is intriguing and I feel that I want to test this theory myself. I think it might be fun to try and prove people wrong by walking in a straight line whilst blindfolded. Even if they are most likely correct, it doesn't mean I try to be the exception to the rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment