Tuesday 20 March 2012

12 Mar 2012 - Karaoke means Empty Orchestra

Today I was watching "How I Met Your Mother," it was an episode that I thought that I had seen before, however during the episode I learnt a new fact, that karaoke means 'empty orchestra'. I verified this fact via Google, as I don't trust the researching skills of most television authors. I found it interesting because I don't remember ever hearing this fact before, even though I am certain that I have seen the episode previously. However as I am certain that I had seen the episode before, I realised that I must have forgotten this fact. This got me to wondering how many other facts I had learnt over the years but had forgotten, or was it that I have drunk so much that I killed all the brain cells that remembered these facts?

I then remembered the theory that I had when I was at university about the little man in your head that runs around the filing cabinets in your head and finds all the information that you have stored. So my new theory is that the little man isn't as interested in the facts that I find interesting, so he is a little careless with the filing of these facts. I now think that the little man has lost many facts over the years that I would have liked to keep because he wasn't interested. I also think that often when he has lost something, in order to cover his tracks, he makes you feel like maybe you have learnt the fact before, this is the feeling we know as deja vu. However sometimes when the little man really wasn't interested, you don't even get deja vu, which was the case with the empty orchestra fact. So I have decided to claim learning about Karaoke meaning 'empty orchestra' as something that I learnt today, even though I must have heard it before. I have also decided that writing this blog is my way to combat the little man's lack of interest, if he is forced to think about the fact whilst I am writing the blog then he will have to remember it!

No comments:

Post a Comment