Monday 26 March 2012

17 Mar 2012 - Pronation

Today I decided to go to a shoe shop, "Complete Feet," where they assess you walking and running style to determine the best type of shoe for you style. Whilst I was there I learnt what pronation meant, and no it is not what you would expect if you saw the word itself, it isn't a person who is in favour of their country. It actually means the way that you foot rolls inward when you are walking or running. It is normal for the foot to roll inward, or to pronate, about fifteen per cent, however if you are an over pronater, then you foot rolls inward more than fifteen per cent. Depending on how much you pronate when you are walking depends on what type of shoes you require in order to properly support your walking or running style.

For years I have only bought shoes based on price and whether they fit my feet, I have also based my purchases on looks. However now I have had this assessment I have decided that it is probably best for me in the long run to actually purchase shoes that support my running style. My style was determined to be normal or slightly pronated, which meant that I can purchase shoes that are suited to a normal running style, as this style supports runners who are also slight pronaters. I would recommend to anyone who exercises regularly to have their style observed and shoes recommended for their style, as this could reduce the likelihood of injury if you exercise regularly.

Read more about pronation on the Runners World website.

No comments:

Post a Comment