Sunday 15 April 2012

31 Mar 2012 - Burt Bacharach's numerous Top 40 hits

Today I was listening to the radio and I heard the song, "Always something there to remind me." At the end of the song the announcer said that this song was written by Burt Bacharach. My first introduction to Burt Bacharach was when he sang, "What the world needs now is love," in the first Austin Powers movie, and I will be honest, I had never heard of him prior to this film. For me that film is what put him on my radar, I didn't know that he had written that song, I just assumed that he had because he was singing it in the movie. Since then I have heard his name a number of times and learnt the names of a few songs that he has written, but overall, until today, I still knew very little, so I decided to Google him to find out more. 

I was surprised to discover that he has 70 United States Top 40 Hits, and 52 United Kingdom Top 40 Hits. He has written an amazing amount of songs for various artists, such as Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield, and his body of work spans seven decades, from 1954 until the present. So now when I re-watch the Austin Powers movies, I will know exactly who Burt Bacharach is when he is singing the song, and that he not only wrote the song, but that he wrote many other fantastic songs!


No comments:

Post a Comment