Tuesday 10 January 2012

10 Jan 2012 - Quinoa

Today I went for a lunchtime walk with a friend of mine and I asked her what she was having for lunch, she replied, 'kinwa'. I thought that she had misinterpreted the question as, 'What is that new form of karate you have just taken up?' After asking her to repeat herself, she did in fact say kinwa, which is actually spelt quinoa. It turns out that this is some form of grain, which can be boiled and eaten much like cous cous or rice, however quinoa has a much higher protein content and so is better for you. I thought this would be a very bland lunch, but she explained that you can mix other things with it, such as tuna, to form a more varied meal, which upon reflection probably should have occurred to me without having to ask.


Now I can't say that it sounds that appetising (because I usually don't choose my meals based on them sounding like they could take me in a fight) but maybe one day I might try this quinoa with one of my meals and then I can blog about how I learnt what quinoa tastes like firsthand!

I located a Wikipedia article on quinoa and you can also see some recipes for it on Taste.com.au.

Has anyone started betting against me learning something new each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment