Sunday 15 January 2012

15 Jan 2012 - Two pairs of runners for marathon training

Last year I decided that I wanted to run a marathon, so I worked out a schedule for my running and basically just started. I have always been the kind of person to just throw myself into a new thing and training for a marathon was no different! Unexpectedly (or perhaps it should have been expected and it just wasn't) I injured my knee and I thought maybe I am trying to much and I should rest a little then start again. So that is what I did, funnily enough my knee still hurt after the rest period, eventually after resting and then running again a few times didn't work out, I decided to give up on the running a marathon idea for the year and rest.

Today I learnt that when training for my marathon, I wasn't necessarily doing the wrong things, it was just there was more that I had to take into consideration. Among other facts, one that I learnt today is that when training for a marathon or even just running a few times a week, it is a good idea to have multiple (at least two) different pairs of shoes. I was told this is a good idea because when you are running, you should be also working on building up muscles in your legs from exercises and stretches aside from your running so that it reduces the stress on your joints when you run. By running in the same shoes with the same motion if you have any irregularities in your gait you will be continually stressing the same areas. Whereas if you alternate shoes then this should change your motion slightly and hopefully reduce the risk of you acquiring a repetitive motion type injury. Doing this in conjunction with leg exercises and stretching is a great compliment to other training that I was already doing for the marathon. Hopefully soon I will be ready to run again and I can get onto this running a marathon thing!

I don't have any additional information on this topic like I usually would, however I am sure Google will have an answer!

Learning something new strikes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment