Thursday 5 January 2012

5 Jan 2012 - Amazon Movie Studios

It seems that all of my facts are learnt by reading the news online! Again today I read an article about Amazon.com the shopping website launching a movie studio. Many of you who already knew this may think I am behind the times, as it has been going for nearly a year, but I say to all of you 'You're right I am sometimes, which is why I am cataloging what I learn now!' Anyway the idea is that there will be a million dollar prize for the winning movie of the year and a meeting with Warner Brothers executives and monthly competitions with smaller cash prizes. The winner is determined by the public submitting votes, it is a case of asking the people what the people want. On the surface I thought this seemed like a good idea, but the more I think about it, the more I think, is this really going to work?

I mean look at all the reality TV we have where the public votes for a singer or the best talent or the best dancer. Are any of the people that win these shows any good? Most of them don't seem to be around for long, so maybe the public doesn't really know what it wants or is it that the people that watch and vote for these shows are not a good representation of the public? For example, I love music but have never voted on Australian Idol and I am sure that I am not the only one out there. Also you have to take into consideration that people from all of the world can submit scripts, but how many people actually know about this competition? I am one of the movie going public and I only heard about this today! Are the voters on the Amazon site really a good representation of the movie going public around the world? I guess we just have to wait and see if the Amazon movie studio actually creates something that is going to last the distance or just something that flops after a brief surge in popularity due to a massive marketing campaign!

For more information I read the original article on The Age website and more details are on the Amazon Studios site.

Again I have learnt something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment